Open Call for short-term Artist in Residence Programme in Kaunas. 30 June-12 July 2014
Kaunas, Lithuania invites 2 artists from the CreArt Network for a short-term (two weeks) AiR in Kaunas in the period of June 30 – July 12, 2014.
Kaunas Artist-in-Residence programme is a new initiative of CreArt, to be launched in 2014. CreArt Kaunas partners, PE “Artkomas”, have a large experience of organizing visual arts projects, and short-term residencies in their city as well as other cities and towns of Lithuania. With their own focus on painting, “Artkomas” co-operates, however, with experts of other visual arts’ fields (like Kaunas Photo Festival, Kaunas Vytautas Magnus University New Media Studies Department, etc.).
Kaunas is the second largest city of Lithuania, with active cultural life. Situated in the valley of the confluence of the two longest rivers of Lithuania, the Nemunas and the Neris, the town itself became an example of a confluence of people and cultures, an attractive blend of architecture and nature.
Although Kaunas is called the city of students and rich in cultural, sport, students’ events, it is an important industrial and cultural city with a population of over 320.000.
CONDITIONS AND STIPEND
The organisation will
- Cover costs of international travel (up to 600 Euro)
- Provide accommodation and catering during the residence (lunch and dinner)
- Provide transportation to/from Kaunas airport to the place of stay
- Provide open air place for work (or studio in the case of unfavourable weather conditions)
- Provide 2 canvas and part of materials for painting
- Organise sightseeing tours (around Kaunas, to Vilnius)
- Arrange 3 exhibitions of the AiR creations
- Organise the exhibition opening ceremony, media, publicity
- Provide with assistance during residence (a local English-speaking assistant to help with the daily routine)
Participant artists will
- leave 1 work of the Kaunas AiR open-air residence for the organisers
- do and leave 1 drawing for the organisers
ACCOMMODATION & WORKING PLACE
A hotel at the heart of Kaunas Old Town, close to the working-place – an open-air location at the inner courtyard of Communications History Museum.
The artists will live and work together with local artists.
A video about Kaunas short-term AiR 2012 is available here
WHO CAN APPLY
Local artists – born or resident – in any of the cities taking part in “CreArt. Network of Cities for Artistic Creation”. We are looking forward to applications from professional artists, working in the traditional fields of fine arts (painting, watercolour, pastel, mixed techniques).
Preference is given to works with a wide variety and diversity. There is no age limitation, yet it is necessary to have a degree in a field of art (university level). If the applicant does not have a university degree, proof of equivalent ability must be provided through his or her artistic career. In a period of two months you will work towards a final public presentation.
ARE YOU INTERESTED?
The Online Application form is available here: http://creart-eu.org/application/short-term-artist-in-residence-by-artkomas-in-kaunas
The following attached documentation is required:
• ID or passport (scanned copy);
• A short version of your resume/CV;
• Examples of previous work (not more then 5 pictures).
Only applications with complete information will be accepted. It must be submitted before January 31, 2014.
Kaunas AiR is going to consider your application and will inform you February 15, 2014.
• CreArt is a collaboration between the 13 European cities: Arad/Romania, Kaunas/Lithuania, Genoa/Italy, Delft/Netherlands, Harghita County/Romania, Valladolid/Spain, Aveiro/Portugal, Linz/Austria, Kristiansand/Norway, Lecce/Italy, Pardubice/Czech Republic, Zagreb/Croatia and Vilnius/Lithuania.