Artist in Residence Programme in Kaunas. May-July 2014
Kaunas, Lithuania invites 4 artists from the CreArt Network to work for two months in Kaunas AiR in the period of May 10/ July 10, 2014.
Kaunas Artist-in-Residence programme is a new initiative of CreArt, to be launched in 2014. CreArt Kaunas partners, PE “Artkomas”, have a large experience of organizing visual arts projects, and short-term residencies in their city as well as other cities and towns of Lithuania. With their own focus on painting, “Artkomas” co-operates, however, with experts of other visual arts’ fields (like Kaunas Photo Festival, Kaunas Vytautas Magnus University New Media Studies Department, etc.). Therefore we are able to offer necessary conditions for creation to painters, photographers, and new media artists, who would like to participate in this part of CreArt project.
Kaunas is the second largest city of Lithuania, with active cultural life. Situated in the valley of the confluence of the two longest rivers of Lithuania, the Nemunas and the Neris, the town itself became an example of a confluence of people and cultures, an attractive blend of architecture and nature.
Although Kaunas is called the city of students and rich in cultural, sport, students’ events, it is an important industrial and cultural city with a population of over 320.000.
4 visual artists (we can offer acceptable conditions for a painter, a photographer and a new media artist)
CONDITIONS AND STIPEND
The organisation will reimburse to artists travel expenses to Kaunas (up to 600 €). Studio and accommodation is free. The artists will receive 500 € per month.
In fully equipped flats
The painters will work at the painting studios of Kaunas Art School, at the heart of Kaunas Old Town (see photos below).
The photo and video artists will we able to use the IT lab of Vytautas Magnus University, Faculty of Arts (see photos below).
KAUNAS AiR PROGRAMME
* Kaunas will provide an assistant to help with settling in in the city (info about cultural institutions, events, useful places);
* Kaunas will provide a curator interacting with the artists about their work, the project KAUNAS AiR and its presentation;
* Kaunas will organise introduction to the local artists’ community (in the form of meetings, etc., where the artist has to make a presentation of his/her work and art);
* Kaunas will organise a meeting with local cultural operators and art experts (representatives of museums, galleries, art schools, art academy);
* The artists will have to have open days for visitors;
* Kaunas will make a final public presentation of the artworks created during the residency (a group exhibition of the 4 artists). The exhibition will be displayed in Kaunas and 3 more Lithuanian cities, in co-operation with a local continuous art project. Kaunas will organize the exhibition opening ceremony, media, publicity;
* 1 artwork must remain for Kaunas city.